Type 4 Engine Long Block Arrival

While trying to save money for the paint job I came across this type 4 2.0 litre CJ code engine for sale on E-bay, and thought I'd stick a starting bid of £450 close to the end if nobody bid, nobody did bid so I won. Oops, I now had to panic to try and work out how I was going to collect a engine from Rugby 2 hours drive away with only a Beetle. I did think about taking the bugs passenger seat out.

Fortunately a mate with a T4 van came to my rescue at short notice and we collected the engine early one Saturday morning. The guy I brought it from had about a year ago stripped the engine and had the original crank polished, fitted new crank, cam and big end bearings, also fitted a 914 cam shaft and run it to harden the cam I think he was gutted to let it go as the work he had put into it was not what I paid but he needed the money.

So I now have the task of figuring out what the hell I need to do with a Type 4 2 litre engine, as I have no experience of these whats so ever! I may leave the case alone and check the pistons and heads to see if they need to be replaced or upgraded, I'll work out what is the best set of twin carbs to fit, and what the cost difference between a 911 and upright cooling fan will be. And how to fit this to a Type 1 gearbox, and then what oil cooling then exhaust then ignition then..........

Oh and I'm going to have to start saving for a paint job from scratch again.

UPDATE:- After getting the block home I've spent the last 5 nights on this excellent web site Type 4: Secrets Revealed  finding out how much I didn't know about Type 4 engines, a great place to start for anyone looking at using a Type 4 engine.