Porsche brake conversion Pt3

I think I've been a bit sidetracked sorting out the brake conversion instead of getting all the welding completed, probably because it's more fun seeing shiny bits coming together.

The problem with the rear disc diameter being too small was solved with replacing the 944 >88 discs (289mm diameter) with 944t (928s2/928s4) 299mm diameter ones, these new rear discs are a little thicker at 22mm making it a squeeze fitting the caliper when they have new pads. The new disc cost an extra £30 a pair; this reminds me why I have a Vdub and not a Porsche.


The caliper is a pretty tight fit in the back off the 15" wheels; there is a slight rub on the wheels' inner shoulder where it rubs on the front caliper face so I'll need a wheel spacer of about 6mm to get the minimal clearance all around. It's not what I wanted to do. But it's something I'll have to live with.

Trying to find 14mm washers in the local DIY shops to use as wheel bolt spacers was harder than expected so I've resorted to using 15mm plastic water pipe. I first cut them 7mm thick that didn't work, then at 9mm and this still rubbed in a few places on the inner wheel, This meant pushing the wheels this far from the hub gives me the next problem of having to use longer wheel bolts, so I may just space the wheels enough to get to get 4mm spacing from the caliper keeping enough thread for the wheel bolts and clear the small amount of material from the caliper to clear the foul.

I popped down to a local Porsche show room in my bug to collect some caliper mounting bolts, after a scan of the 911,s I was greeted by a pretty lady behind a desk asking if I would like any help, explaining why I was there and a phone call later a suited gentlemen arrived with my £6 bag of bolts, a little surprised I paied and started to ask about caliper piston sizes and brake master cylinders, "sorry I don't study the breaks" silenced I decided it was time to leave. You can't beat speaking to a grubby mechanic who knows there way around the cars they work on.
With new bolts I mounted the front caliper to the wooden bracket I'd made and with the bearing spacers fitted I was able to work out that I needed 11mm offset to centralise the caliper on the disc. I'll now have this bracket machined once I decided the best place to position the caliper around the spindle. Although I'm still unsure if I should use my link pin or ball joint spindles and beam.