944 porsche brembo break caliper restoration

These brembo callipers are from a 944 turbo. I got from e-bay, when they arrived after a clean up I noticed the break pad slider plates were lifting due to the corrosion under them, This I believe is quite a common problem for these, Its a bit of a bad design having aluminum, steel and stainless steel all attached together its just asking for dissimilar metal corrosion. the photos are from my phone so not the best.

So to get these off I first tried the torque bit but that of course just rounded the rusted heads off, So this job just got a lot harder. I got hold of a 90 degree air drill, these drills have specific sized collet's that allow 0.5mm-5mm drill bits to fit to it. I had to shorten my drills so they would fit inside the calliper.

I started by drilling in the center of the head down to the plate just below the head of the bolt, this allowed me to chisel the head off each bolt. Once all the heads were off the slider plates just pinged off with a lever from a screwdriver.

I was left with a clear view off all the aluminium corrosion and a seized bolt with out a head. I then used the existing drill hole in the head to start drilling into the shaft with a smaller drill.

To make sure I only drilled into the shaft of the bolt and not into the calliper body I drew a 90 degree line on a scrap piece of plate to use as a visual guide as i drilled. There's a gap at the bottom of the bolt shaft so you can tell when the drill has cut through the bottom of the bolt.

Once each bolt was drilled I used a snap-on screw extractor, this type allowed me to use a spanner on the shaft because a normal screw extractor and tap wrench would not fit inside the calliper. These screws came out very easily once the pressure from the pad slider plate was released.