Rear Hatch Repairs

There were two areas around rear hatch that needed final attention, the lower corner was made of three panels all joined at one point.


Also the top corner under the hinge that was a bit of a surprise.


First I dealt with the lower corner, with the van on its side It was easier to work on at this height.To get access to the repair area I started buy cutting away the top lip that was good metal.
I then cut the jagged metal out very carefully then made the inner skin and and tacked that in place.
The outer part was made with a small lip to join to the rear corner panel.The top lip was then welded back onto the top of the corner part.

I also pulled the dent out just below the repair.


I then moved onto the top corner,  with the stop plate and bad material cut way I cut up my cereal packet to get a patten. With the repair patch folded to match both inner and out bends I had to weld a bend pulling pin onto it so I had some way of holding the patch before welding.

With a lot of carefully welding and grinding the patch was in and the stop plate refitted.


A few pin holes in the roof needed patching up as well. This ment I had to re apply some of the seam seal in the gutter aga