Re-painting the underside

After getting the van back from the painters, I was very pleased with the top of the van, but had the problem of the over spray on the under side.
 
 
The booth that was used to spray the van had the extraction in the floor, this meant the paint was sucked under the van, this would not have been to much of a problem if I had painted the under side cream to match the sides.

I wasn't prepared to roll the van on its side again to repaint the floor so I had to get the van as high on axel stands as I could, 1ft and would have to do the spraying on my back.

 
Having a look at what I needed to re spray I also realised I hadn't got any protection on the top of the chassis rails. Before I stated the re spray I gave this all a good rub down then rust treated and primed them by hand using a bent brush.  

I also noticed both arched had no stone chip or paint and showed some surface rust on the lips. so I cleaned these up with a new toy.
 
Just to be safe I rust treated it all before priming.

A few other details that needed tidying was some filler that needed tidying up left over from the body prep.
 
I now had to protect the brand new paint job from over spray, I ran some tape around the whole lower edge of the van using a scalpel ot cut it flush with the edge 
As I was running low of materials I used the vans cove to help protect from the paint.
 
After a day rubbing as much of the under side I could handle I got onto priming the chassis parts that had been blocked by the roll over rig.


 
I then spent 3 days cleaning and repainting the front middle and back of the under side in base coat, using the smaller spray gun that I modified to fit into small places made this easier.
But lying on my back painting with the van an inch away from your nose was not easy.
 

 
After I managed to recover from my back problems I got back into the garage and got back on my back to spray the clear coat on.
 


 Apart from the work lamp making the photos look orange I am really happy with the results of the re-spray. A second coat of the red helped the deeper red I was after and the clear coat does show up the metallic that's in the red , although no one going to see it.
 

Now two months after getting the van back from paint I can finally get on with the rebuild.
 
or can I...