Capping the bottom of the A pillars


I needed to cap the end of the A pillars but the plates provided with the repair section I got were no way near the same shape as the bottom of my pillars so I decided to make my own.

With a long series drill bit I put a hole in the top of the boxed section of the A pillar. Not sure if this is good for the corrosion to stop moisture build up or bad for it because it will let moisture in? 
Hopefully a good squirt of corrosion inhibitor once its complete should keep it rust free for a while. 
I wanted a drain hole in the bottom as well and managed to achieve this with a tapered hole cutter and then used a couple of sockets, one with a large radius on its shaft squeesed between the vice jaws, to get the flanged hole.
This is the patch once profiled and pressed with the two sockets I used to make the flange.

I then welded around the sides of the plate upside down with the welds dripping all over me. Then cleaned it up and later painted it. 
I then did the same for the other side, although the patches I repaired the A pillar with came down a little short so added a lip to this patch.
Then welded upside down again. Its not a happy place to be.

Finally painted it up once the welds were cleaned up, I'll cover the inside of this A pillar with corrosion treatment once I get the van painted and seam sealed but look, my arm hair and the paint are the same colour.